Day 14 – #AprilBlogADay – Why I Teach

Why I Teach

Occasionally during excruciatingly busy times in my years of teaching, I’ve dreamt of quitting and becoming a receptionist in a sleepy office where I didn’t care about the service or product.

But I never did.

I’ve stayed in this crazy world of teaching–teaching kindergarten through undergrads (not quite everything in between, but most).

No matter how excruciating the schedule, I want to be here. I care too much about the service and product. Really I care about the sweet souls that I am privileged to rub elbows with, the unique little humans that I get to know and love.

I am honored and humbled that I would be entrusted to teach the precious people in my charge.

I fail a little bit every day, but every day I also have joy in being there to tie a shoe, listen to a story, inspire a writer, and see a light bulb appear over a learner. Every day, the children are why I teach.

What’s your WHY?

The assignment was to write Yy, but the extra message is from one of the reasons I teach.