Au, Friday…Autumn Begins

It was a cold morning. A blanket of frosty ice covered my car windshield. Now this afternoon it’s much warmer, but the air is still crisp and squeaky clean. It’s the first day of autumn, and it’s Friday, so I took this picture of a tree changing into her autumn attire.

7 thoughts on “Au, Friday…Autumn Begins

1. Denise,
    Love the clear blue sky with just a hint of white clouds. A perfect background for the tree slowly giving up her summer green.
    JoAnn

2. I don’t understand what makes the 23rd September the first day of autumn…

Am I missing something?

1. Deon,
      That’s a good question. Usually the year before leap year, the equinox ends up on a later day because it takes the earth about 6 hours longer than 365 days to get all the way around the sun. Then next year (leap year) it will fall back to the 22nd. Here is a good ABC news article on the topic.

3. In Australia, seasons are purely based on calendar months, unless you live in the tropics, where they generally only talk about having a dry season and a wet season.

Autumn starts on the 1st March, Spring on the 1st September…

I have never heard this before, so quite pleased that I asked!

4. Deon, I’m quite pleased you commented back because I didn’t know that about the southern hemisphere. I did notice that the article said “in the northern hemisphere,” but I guess I didn’t stop to think about how it was done in the southern.

Thank you for taking the time and teaching me (and possibly future visitors) something new.

Denise

5. Denise,
    Lovely! Autumn is my favorite time of year. I love the cool, crisp days and the changing leaves. I love the smell of football in the air! (Big Pats fan!)

I loved that Deon commented as I learned something new about Australia. Just love our Global connections!

6. Thanks, Nancy. This fall I am thinking autumn is my favorite season too. We have had a month of the best weather ever! It is a little too dry, but cool in the evenings and mornings and 70-80 during the day. The colors are all beautiful now–about ten days after the photo above was taken. During a normal year, by this time on the calendar, most of the leaves would have been blown off, snowed off, rained off or would have otherwise shed themselves making room for winter. But this year…perfectly beautiful. I’m going out for another walk today. This week’s forecast is more of the same.

I agree about Deon and our global connections! Awesome!

Thanks,
    Denise