On Being Listened To

Today I stopped by my husband’s office before coming home. I had read today’s prompt, and I was determined to make today the most recent time I felt really listened to.

So, I listened to my husband, which is something I am not always the best at. I asked him questions like Esther Perel’s question at a dinner party with Suleika and others who didn’t yet know each other: What would you list on your unofficial resumé?  He said, “I’ll be retiring soon, I don’t need a resumé.”

“OK, wise guy. What about an unofficial resume? Like you love tinkering with technology.” That got him going and saying funny and romantic things.

We talked about mud because of today’s poetry prompt from Margaret Simon. We both shared stories about playing in the dirt and mud when we were kids and when our own daughters played in the mud in our Arizona yard.

We talked a lot at home this evening too–about Dr. Solomon’s death on Saturday, and I asked him to share words that describe his emotions about this very special person’s death. Then he asked me to share my own words.

I learned something from Esther today. Listening leads to being listened to.

Today is Monday, Day 118 in Bahrain’s stay-at-home time, day 83 of The Isolation Journals with Suleika Jaouad. The prompt today is by relationship therapist, Esther Perel. Write about the last time you felt someone really listened to you. “What was it like—emotionally, physically, and energetically—to be heard?”