Birthday Bouquet for #SOS Magic

My husband celebrated his birthday last month. Soon he will retire after 4o years being a pastor and hospital chaplain. It will be a big change for him. He has been working since he was 16, so he looks forward to taking some time off to fiddle around and hang out at our desert home in California. Then I can imagine he will get busier volunteering to help people with their cars or computers and who knows what else.

We had a Zoom surprise party on the day before his birthday. Then on his special day, flowers came as a gift from the church here in Bahrain, where he served half-time for six years, before he went fulltime as hospital chaplain. Other than that, it was a typical Covid-19 chapter birthday celebration.

As I contemplate and look forward to our retirement, I do appreciate the fragility of life and know that we are not promised years ahead but just today. This past year has helped me to appreciate every single day, and today I celebrate again my husband’s birthday and these beautiful flowers.

bouquet of flowers in a vase with a painted map of Bahrain behind them

I’m joining an open community of writers over at Sharing Our Stories: Magic in a Blog. If you write (or want to write) just for the magic of it, consider this your invitation to join us. #sosmagic

2 thoughts on “Birthday Bouquet for #SOS Magic

1. A gorgeous arrangement and such a wonderful reason to celebrate, a birthday and a retirement. We are not guaranteed tomorrow. I’m glad you had the chance to enjoy today.