Big

Big sky
Big time
Big minds
Tiny-to-me stars flood the big sky
I sit timeless in the big time
Gazing at passing satellites built by big minds

I feel small when I lie under the stars in the moonless summer desert. Other sites are nonexistent at night–it’s just the big sky full of stars that fills my eyes. The sounds are hushed. The animals have burrowed for the night. The birds are roosting. The wind holds its breath.

Time seems to stop, yet it also passes quickly without fanfare. Every ninety minutes that same satellite passes overhead with the same blinking light. I don’t understand it. I feel small with my brain that couldn’t keep a satellite up in the sky.

Occasionally a meteor bursts across the canvas, burning up and leaving a trail of light for my viewing pleasure. Then I don’t feel so small. I feel nurtured and loved.

Big Love.

Image by Free-Photos from Pixabay

I’m joining an open community of writers over at Sharing Our Stories: Magic in a Blog. If you write (or want to write) just for the magic of it, consider this your invitation to join us. This week’s prompt is big. #sosmagic

11 thoughts on “Big

1. Love this meditation on the night sky, especially your response to the meteor – nurtured and loved!

1. The above comment came from Ramona, I hit publish before I added my name.

2. Ah…this is breathtaking, ” The sounds are hushed. The animals have burrowed for the night. The birds are roosting. The wind holds its breath.”

Extraordinary writing. XO

3. Living in town, I miss these moments you write about. This is a beautiful piece with lovely word images.

1. Thank you, Leigh Anne. I appreciate it. I understand the living in town, as I have not seen the stars for two years now. This is a memory of when I get to travel to the California desert, which will eventually be home again. Thank you for your kind words.

4. This was such a gorgeous piece with beautiful imagery. The night sky is my favorite!