19 DFABW – Acceptance

Today’s word is acceptance, and the poetry form that Irene Latham used is the persona. I am have a good week accepting the mess that our remodeling project is making in our home. The dust is everywhere, as are the piles, but glimpses in my imagination of a window coming through this wall are giving me hope!

Here is my persona poem today.

Remodeling
I am a word with dust–
a tortoise inching slowly through the desert
Some avoid me,
Others don’t need me.
Yet, I am always available,
slow and steady,
saving resources,
creating new space,
bit by bit championing the chaos.
Come on in and see what I’ve done with the place.

During each day in the months of August and September, I am responding to a different word from Dictionary for a Better World: Poems, Quotes, and Anecdotes from A to Z by Irene Latham and Charles Waters, illustrated by Mehrdokht Amini.  Today’s word is Acceptance. A small group of people wanting to make the world a better place are reading and responding together. Join us! Visit Common Threads: Patchwork Prose and Verse by Kim Haynes Johnson for more information. Here is the word list I’ll be following for August and September.

2 thoughts on “19 DFABW – Acceptance

1. I love that you are championing the chaos. There can never be enough windows, can there? To dwell inside with views of the natural world is a haven of joy.

2. We are doing some renovations as well and they do try your patience at times. I love how you used the persona form to write about such an ordinary topic. It elevates it to the extraordinary.