25 DFABW – Forgiveness

I went to a state university
in the 1970s 
It was tuition-free,
Just $100 a semester
student fees are all I paid,
which included access to
a health center

Now we are talking about
forgiveness today
student loan forgiveness

complex
explosive
uncertain
inequitable
volatile
unfair
reckless
yes
probably

but also
game-changing
opening opportunities
families and future
to give families
breathing room

now let’s work
to fix the system
more affordable options
stop predatory lending
outrageous tuition costs

Forgiveness
Yes, please

Found poem from “Biden student loan action ignites  instant political battles” August 25, 20222 (The Washington Post)

During each day in the months of August and September, I am responding to a different word from Dictionary for a Better World: Poems, Quotes, and Anecdotes from A to Z by Irene Latham and Charles Waters, illustrated by Mehrdokht Amini.  Today’s word is Forgiveness. A small group of people wanting to make the world a better place are reading and responding together. Join us! Visit Common Threads: Patchwork Prose and Verse by Kim Haynes Johnson for more information. Here is the word list I’ll be following for August and September.

One thought on “25 DFABW – Forgiveness

1. Denise, I am in awe of your words and angle on the topic of forgiveness – predatory lending is the truth. That’s what has happened for years. And it’s time to forgive the sins of the lenders and the borrowers and allow greater freedom to live and enjoy. I’ve often wondered why we don’t have a system like some of the countries in Europe that offer free college. It seems time, as enrollments are dwindling and teacher shortages are higher than ever. You say it well here. Your post today also gives me more reassurance that the out-of-order words for each day instead of a chronological approach hold steady. I was tempted to go in order, but I felt a nudge to connect the words to celebratory days, and it’s interesting how current events are unfolding in keeping with these out-of-order words.
    Thank you for sharing today!