30 DFABW – Compassion and a Slice of Remodeling Life

30 August 2022 TwoWritingTeachers.org

Each day I enjoy reading just a page or two in Dictionary for a Better World. Today’s word was Compassion. When I read the page and saw Irene’s tender poem about two young girls’ compassion for their sick mother, I was touched. Here is a picture of the beautiful poem and artwork.

Today’s word reminded me of a text message I got yesterday that I had ignored last night. It was from Sandy Hook Promise. They were asking me to donate again to help them reach their back-to-school fundraising goal. This morning, after reading Irene’s poem, I thought about parents who have lost children to gun violence, and I had a renewed commitment to at least donate to this fundraising drive.

On the remodeling front:

August 12 – Before
August 30 – Today! Not finished, but on the way!

During each day in the months of August and September, I am responding to a different word from Dictionary for a Better World: Poems, Quotes, and Anecdotes from A to Z by Irene Latham and Charles Waters, illustrated by Mehrdokht Amini. Today’s word is Compassion. A small group of people wanting to make the world a better place are reading and responding together. Join us! Visit Common Threads: Patchwork Prose and Verse by Kim Haynes Johnson for more information. Here is the word list I’ll be following for August and September.

2 thoughts on “30 DFABW – Compassion and a Slice of Remodeling Life

1. Denise, you have such a heart for people
    and their needs. The world is better because you make it that way! The remodeling is looking great! You’re opening spaces and light is spilling in! I love it!

2. Denise, I love the Dictionary and what it seeks to instill in people’s hearts. Compassion is desperately needed, and seems so desperately lacking, these days. We can imagine – and remodel! – our world, when we allow compassion room to grow in our hearts. Marvelous connection of ideas. I know you must be thrilled with the remodeling of your new home – it’s looking great!