March 4 – Driving Nap

March 4, 2023 TwoWritingTeachers.org

On Friday, my daughter’s last day of her visit here, the roofers came early. They were walking around on our plywood roof doing last minute prep work before the new shingles could be added. It included pounding, sweeping, stomping, rolling, vacuuming, and lots of who-knows-what-in-the-heck-else. Then the forklift came and placed pallets of shingles up on the roof.

And then it was time for my sweet little grandson to take his morning nap.

A nap seemed unlikely to happen at home, so we left on a trip to Joshua Tree National Park.

It was a nap trip. (I think it was the first time I’ve ever gone through the park without stopping to get out of the car. Thank you, taxpayers and United States NPS, for the lifetime senior pass I am so blessed to have.) He slept for about 45 minutes, then we stopped for coffee in Twentynine Palms, and finally–home again. After that, it wasn’t long before I had to take them to the airport.

Meanwhile the pounding on the roof was continuing, and I was happy to get to miss it for a couple more hours.

I am participating in the March Slice of Life Challenge: A slice a day for all of March. Thank you, Two Writing Teachers! 

7 thoughts on “March 4 – Driving Nap

1. Denise,
    Baby nap time is a perfect reason to visit Joshua Tree. Ken has a Golden Eagle pass. I keep track of it for him! I bet you’re missing that cutie pie grandson. But I bet you’re thrilled to be getting the new roof, even if it interfered w/ nap time!

2. Denise, sometimes you just need to find alternatives. This was perfect. We had a new roof out On once and I remember the noise.

3. What a beautiful way to nap, with grandmother in Joshua Tree! (Not that he’ll remember it, but you will always treasure it. ) Just lovely! I enjoyed your description “lots of who-knows-what-in-the-heck-else” – I remember this type noise so well from our recent remodeling. Great post!

4. A perfect escape and great idea, Denise – a nap trip! I am captivated by the blueness of the sky in your photos. What a great shot of your grandson with the tree in the background – a magnificent keepsake for him.

5. Denise, I just love your photos, especially of your grandson. His wispy light hair is so precious. I’m not sure you know this, but I am awaiting the arrival of my first grandson in July. He will live near me so I’m so super excited. I also need to get one of the national park passes for my husband. Good luck with the roof, too!