March 27 – What Are Soy Curls? You May Ask

March 27, 2023 TwoWritingTeachers.org

A lot of things happened in 2020, right? One thing for me was committing to a healthier diet. Since I still struggle with keeping my cholesterol where it should be, I have mostly given up eating meat. Here is one thing I’ve found lately that is healthier than many of the other plant-based meat alternatives: Butler Soy Curls. Now, because both Jennifer and Celia asked me about them on a post two days ago, I decided to share about Butler Soy Curls in its very own slice of life. It’s March 27, after all; ideas are slowing, so why not?

Some good news: They are made with whole GMO soybeans, grown and produced in the U.S., 11 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber per serving, no trans fat, no additives or preservatives. You can buy it from Butler Foods for what I’ve found to be the best price.

The pictures below show some of the things I tried with soil curls:

A Reuben sandwich made with soy curls for the “meat”

Yesterday I made Creamy Vegan “Chick’n Satay from Lauren Hartmann at Rabbit and Wolves, one of my favorite vegan cooks. (I altered this recipe in two ways. I added peppers and mushrooms, which weren’t in the original recipe. I also used almond milk instead of coconut cream, which I often do to make recipes lower fat.)

Do they look like chicken? They taste like chicken. Or at least have the texture of chicken.
Extra soy curls I sauteed and put in the fridge for tacos, salads, and sandwiches this week.
I used some of the leftovers and added barbecue sauce for a sandwich today. Yummy!

Here are additional recipes at Butler Foods.

I am participating in the March Slice of Life Challenge: A slice a day for all of March. Thank you, Two Writing Teachers!

12 thoughts on “March 27 – What Are Soy Curls? You May Ask

1. I so wish they had these here! Those look yummy…and very versatile. I like that you answered my question in a slice. And you’ve made me hungry. 😛

2. Denise, I have to say these soy curls look incredibly delicious! What an amazing thing. Your photos make my hungry (I am writing before breakfast). Furthermore, I applaud your commitment to your health – taking care of “your wild and precious life.”

I also want to thank you for wondering if I might try making a poem of my blog post titles…so, as you have done with these soy curls, I gave it a go! I will say it was with a bit of trepidation and concern about it being worth reading, (i.e. palatable?) but I thank you again for your forward-thinking and abundant creativity, which shows up even in your diet!

3. Denise, this looks like a delicious alternative to meat. It does look like chicken, and that’s my favorite meat of all. With Glenda’s son slicing peppers and you sharing soy curls and the pictures of food with those, it’s hard not to feel hungry going into this day! (I’m about to make my peanut butter shake and head out into the storms this morning). I am glad to see the soy alternative you shared. I haven’t seen them here, but I will try to ClickList them with my next order!

4. Denise, as long as they bear little resemblance to tofu (Do they? You don’t compare them to anything except chicken—and I’ve been a vegetarian for so long, I’m not sure I remember chicken…), I’ll give them a try. I agree with Fran—the photos are salivation fodder! What is there about an orange on a plate that makes everything look better?!

5. I’ve been vegan/vegetarian for a long time, but I don’t think I’ve ever tried Soy Curls. Thanks for sharing your favorite recipes. I’ll have to be on the lookout for them.

6. This is just the post I needed to read, Denise! I am not familiar with soy curls – but I have to watch my sodium, and I, too, avoid meat for health reasons. (I haven’t entirely given it up.) Love that you posted the label, too – good protein source. That reuben looks so yummy!

7. Denise,
    I’m trying to wrap my head around soy curls. I know I need to eat less meat, but I have a husband who is reluctant to change his diet, although he’s working on it. I avoid almond milk because almond take so much water to grow. I’m not much of a milk in any form drinker and only use it in recipes. I think my summer is going to be filled w/ new recipes and a shift in diet, but it won’t be easy. I can live w/out meat most of the time, but I’m not sure I can live w/ the meat alternatives. Does that make sense?

1. That makes total sense, Glenda. For the most part, I’m with you. I prefer vegetarian rather that meat alternatives–mac and cheese, bean tostadas, etc. Today, inspired by one of the photos in your post, I ordered potato tacos at the Mexican restaurant we went to for lunch.

8. Wow, Denise! I didn’t know soy curls existed. Now, I want to find them, buy them, and cook them up in all the yummy ways you talk about. Thank you so much!

9. Very cool information! My daughter-in-law doesn’t eat meat so this looks like something right up her alley. Thanks, Denise, for sharing the recipe link.

10. So delicious, unfortunately it doesn’t look like they’re readily available here. I’ll see if I can find an alternative!

11. So interesting to read about! I’m a vegetarian, but have never heard of soy curls. Now I’ll have to look out for them!