Slice of Life – Working on a Temperature Blanket

April 18, 2023 TwoWritingTeachers.org

Last year I made a temperature blanket for our home using up some old yarn that was in our house. I wrote about it last year.

This year I decided to try another temperature blanket for my grandson. I’m making four panels using rainbow colors based on the daily high temperature, as recorded on Weather Underground. I created this spreadsheet to help me keep track.

The first panel begins in June on the day of his birth. Of course, since we are in the northern hemisphere it’s summer, and the panel is mostly red, orange and yellow. That first column starts with a third of June, then all of July and August, and ends with two-thirds of September. There is a thin white line between months. There will be three more panels, and later I’ll stitch them altogether.

After finishing the first column, I was running low on the warm colors, so I skipped the second and started the third column. Now I’m noticing columns one and three look conflicting, so I’m hoping the autumnal second column will help tie these two together. Yesterday, we were out of town, so I was able to buy the yarn that I needed to finish. It’s due in June for a first birthday party!

11 thoughts on “Slice of Life – Working on a Temperature Blanket

1. Denise,
    The blanket is gorgeous. I love the colors. It reminds me of Joseph’s many-colored cost. I’ve never heard of a weather blanket. What a marvelous idea. I do wonder how those temps will look in the coming years. I can’t wait to see the finished blanket.

2. Wow! I am always in awe of people who can sew, knit, crochet, etc. I’ve never heard of a temperature blanket before. What a “cool” idea…no pun intended! Your grandson is a lucky boy. This is a treasure he can keep forever. It’s just beautiful!

3. The mathematical thinking involved in this gorgeous work of heart is breathtaking! I know you are also weaving in so many love thoughts as you knit. So so beautiful, Denise. I am in awe!

4. I have never heard of a temperature blanket, but it is an interesting idea! I love the colors. It will be fun to see it all completed!

5. As a fellow knitter, I enjoyed your post!! I had not heard of a “temperature” blanket before. Such a great idea. I’m currently making (knitting) a little pink pinafore for a grandbaby coming in June. I can’t wait to meet her.

6. Denise, what a fabulous idea and gift for your grandson. Wow, what a treasure this will be for him and generations to come. I love the colors and your chart!

7. Denise, I’m learning so much today! This is absolutely a wonderful gift that he will treasure. I need knitting lessons from you and photography lessons from Maureen. I think it’s about time for a weekend retreat where we all write and teach each other cool stuff. I’ve made rag quilts for my grandbabies, but never anything crocheted or knitted, although my daughter crochets. I admire your skills and your creativity – – this blanket is beautiful and holds such meaning.

8. Thank you, all, for your kind words. I’m glad I introduced you to a new kind of blanket. My next challenge is to figure out how to identify some key days on the blanket. Embroidery? ribbons?

9. A temperature quilt is new to me also and the math and planning behind it is really cool!