Slice of Life 4 – Color Block Toy #sol24

4 March 2024 TwoWritingTeachers.org

First of all, I’m so sorry that I missed the Zoom meetup on Sunday morning! I stayed up too late the night before, and then I slept right up until 8:30 a.m., the meetup time. I didn’t even think of it until it was over. So, please accept my apologies, Betsy and Stacey, but mostly, I’m sorry I didn’t get to see all those lovely faces to match with the names.

Here’s something I’ve been working on lately. In early February I read Trish’s post at Jump Off; Find Wings about the colorful blocks she played with as a child, I thought of something I’ve had in my game cupboard for the past two years (that I’ve never done anything with). A 6×6 set of number cubes in a nice wooden box. Quite possibly handcrafted. Even though they aren’t a perfectly matched set, I decided to turn them into a “Design with Color Cubes” set of my own.

So I got out my paints and tried to make this little number puzzle a two-for-one activity. ( I learned what colors to paint the sides from this DIY post on Scavenger Chic Trish had shared.)

In Trish’s post, she shares about the great childhood memories she has about using these color cube blocks, especially telling about one time when she was sick and they were her joy-bringing companions. She found a set to buy because she will soon be a grandparent. She looks forward to sharing them with her grandson; what a blessed boy who will get to have Trish for a grandma!

I never had my own set of these colored blocks as a child, but I do now! My set is definitely rough, but I like it. Thanks, Trish, for the inspiration.

11 thoughts on “Slice of Life 4 – Color Block Toy #sol24

1. Denise, I’m learning too much for my own good this month at SOLC and we’re only 4 days in. First junk journaling and now this fun of the color blocks. What a lovely slice today, and I love how you tagged another blogger too! We missed you yesterday – I almost didn’t make it, either! We were talking about how we comment on each other’s blogs, and this is one of my favorite ways – to validate someone else’s blog and to give a personal spin about how their writing has impacted you. Now I’m going to be looking for some blocks.

2. You’re so crafty! Thanks for sharing your inspiration and DIY project! 😉

3. Oooo – I love this. It’s so tangible. I want to play with it. I need to find my own set and get creative. Thanks for sharing!

4. My grandson would love these! He is highly creative. On second thought, he may not like that there are only a certain number of patterns. I’m going to keep an eye out for an old set of blocks.

5. Denise,
    I’m always awed by your ingenuity and zest for trying new projects. I’m sure I didn’t have blocks as a child, but my brother did. I played w/ his wooden blocks. I’ve noticed lots of vintage toys are having a revival, such as Sit-n-spin, Big Wheel, etc. Maybe they never went away. I just started noticing them more. Now I want to decorate blocks for Ezra, and I’m wondering if black children had specific toys I need to find for him.

6. This is the highest compliment, Denise, and honors me beyond any expectation. I’m sorry you missed the Meet also, because even though we’ve actually spent time together, there’s never enough of that.
    Only you would turn my post into an actual set of blocks—such clever “upcycling”— and I’ll bet your downstairs table had some clutter yet again (though not as bad as junk journaling, I’m guessing.
    Thank you X 1000.❤️

7. You are a wonderful crafter, Denise! Thanks to you and Trish for this inspiration. I love these blocks.

8. What a wiz you are, Denise. The blocks are beautiful. You definitely have an artistic soul!

9. Denise, you are so creative. I am learning so much! I love the way you use one creative process to tell about other ones.

10. This is so great, Denise. So innovative and so much fun. I’ve never seen anything quite like these in Australia, but if I do, I’ll be sure to get some!