Poetry Friday – Trinet

It’s Poetry Friday and Jone MacCulloch is hosting today. She has an interview with Carol Labuzzetta about the new anthology Picture Perfect Poetry, published this week. Thank you for hosting, Jone. 

I remember when I learned that pigs are not able to look up into the sky. Did you know that little fact?

I learned it last year in a trinet by Alan j Wright. I was amused by his poem, and the form was new for me. I often like to try new forms, but I didn’t. Then just last week Alan revisited the trinet, so I was reminded to give it a try. The trinet is 7 lines, with word counts of 2-2-6-6-2-2-2. (Thank you, Alan for the inspiration!)

Words

windswept wonders

wistful terms

welcome to the whistling expressions stirred

haunting the lexicon mining for words

whimsy inferred

sometimes absurd

communication heard

I thought the shape of the first one looked like an angel, so I had to try a second one.

Angel

speaks warnings

wears wings

wondering who started idea they’re singing

guiding, pointing the way to heaven

angel guest

visiting Earth

commissioned above

Image by b0red from Pixabay

A third one, looking much less angelic, was for this week’s “This Photo Wants to be a Poem” at Margaret’s Reflections on the Teche.

Halo

Encircling umbra

Brilliance ablaze

Magical dance of moon and sun

New celestial feats eclipse our understanding

Oohing ahhing

Awestruck, unparalleled

Eyewitnesses ensorcelled

Image by Dave Davidson from Pixabay

16 thoughts on “Poetry Friday – Trinet

1. Oh I love a new to me form, and this one looks fun as well as challenging. I love your efforts, but especially the final two lines:
    Awestruck, unparalleled
    Certainly ensorcelled
    Such a clever rhyme!

2. Each one’s a gem, Denise, & I love “communication heard”. Thanks for the word new to me, too: “ensorcelled”. The sounds you’ve chosen really sing in each poem! I copied the ‘how-to’ of a Trinet from Alan and now need to try it!

3. I like how each poem led to the next. And especially these lines:
    whimsy inferred
    sometimes absurd
    communication heard

Thank you!

4. You make this form look easy, and it does as I read yours, seem a natural flow of language, the first two lines short and moving into longer lines and then shorter, like a summary. I would like to try this!

5. Fun to follow your creative progression here, Denise. Not only are you up next for the progressive poem, you created a progressive grouping of your own. 🙂

6. Alas the eclipse was a big ol’ bust around these parts – we had our usual cloudy grey Pacific Northwest weather! Nobody had to worry about eye damage from looking at the sun, though, so I guess that’s a plus. 😉

We were talking about the shape of poems with my writing group this month, they were fascinated by the idea of poems having shape and form, it opened up a whole new creative dimension for them.

7. Denise, you nailed the Trinet! A diverse range of subjects from weatherly to heavenly. Thanks for the call out. It pleases me immensely that you fulfilled a promise to yourself- and look what it has delivered. The angel shape is quite apparent now that you have drawn attention to it. You have created a little Trinet treasure. Interestingly I continued writing some Trinet poems in my notebook this week. They refuse to leave the stage…

8. Ooooh… your use of the word “ensorcelled” here is spellbinding! I’m loving all these eclipse-inspired poems this week. Thank you for sharing!

9. Denise, your assortment of trinets is remarkable because you added rhyme to each one. Thank you for the new word, ensorcelled.

10. I’ve never written a trinet…I love your “wondering who started idea they’re singing.” When I hear angel stories, they do seem fierce rather than celebratory! Also, the sounds in your Words poem are fabulous. And “windswept wonders.” Sigh. Glad you tried these and shared them with us, Denise!

11. I love that you dabbled in Trinets, Denise. A new form I must try too. I like your Angel poem, “wondering who started idea they’re singing” – I’ve wondered the same thing! 🙂

12. Well…you made this look so fun that I just might have to try one! Your WORDS is all kinds of perfection!

13. Denise, a lovely trio! Don’t tell anyone, but I had to look up ensorcell. I can’t wait to use it! Thank you!

14. Loved trying this form too! I really love that you did monorhyme. I’ve been trying to play with that some too.

15. Oh, I need to play with the trinet. I especially loved “Words” and this line “haunting the lexicon mining for words”