If you had $3000…

What a fun question I received in a tweet today:

“If you had $3000 to buy tech equipment for your genius hour program, what would you buy?” Thanks, Rhonda!

I just had to write a blog post to answer that question. To tell you the truth, I’m not sure this list is exhaustive or that I won’t think of something additional tomorrow, but for now a couple things immediately come to mind.

First, I hope you already have access to great Internet connectedness and laptops for your students. If not, I’d start there with extra bandwidth and a small set of laptops or Chromebooks or iPads.

If I had enough computers for at least part time access for students, then I would get:

1. A pro account on Edublogs and pro accounts for any other tools that you and/or your students love. They can each have their own snazzy blog and  join a world-wide authentic community where they will grow in reading, writing, presenting, and 21st century skills.
  2. Video recorders and editing software.
  3. A huge collection of Legos Mindstorms robotics, software, and Legos for students to tinker and create.

How about you? What would you do with $3000 to buy tech equipment for your genius hour program?

4 thoughts on “If you had $3000…

1. I’d buy a mac book so we could more easily turn our iPad videos into finished products.

2. Hi Denise!
    I still have to wait until young students are allowed time to learn blogging activities during school time. So far, I take them to Edublogs during break time or by gmail chat.
    This year, I have just one student in the Challenge, and she belongs to the group you are mentoring. So, I would like to say “Hello”, and that I’m at your disposal. Ana Clara understands English quite well; as she is writting in Portuguese, visitors must use the google translate widget embeded on the side bar. Miss W. allowed me to translate the Challenge Posts, but I know she can grasp the meaning even of words she is learning on the spot.
    I’m discovering your blog and learning form it!
    Thank you,
    Ines

1. Hi Ines,
      Thanks for letting me know. I should have read this better before I wrote a comment on Ana Clara’s blog. I asked a friend to help, and I kind of bungled the Portuguese, I’m afraid.

Next time, I will write in English! I’m glad she’s in the challenge!

Denise