Dare to Care

Creating, Contributing, Communicating, Connecting, Collaborating & Curating

If you had $3000…

What a fun question I received in a tweet today:

“If you had $3000 to buy tech equipment for your genius hour program, what would you buy?” Thanks, Rhonda!

I just had to write a blog post to answer that question. To tell you the truth, I’m not sure this list is exhaustive or that I won’t think of something additional tomorrow, but for now a couple things immediately come to mind.

First, I hope you already have access to great Internet connectedness and laptops for your students. If not, I’d start there with extra bandwidth and a small set of laptops or Chromebooks or iPads.

If I had enough computers for at least part time access for students, then I would get:

1. A pro account on Edublogs and pro accounts for any other tools that you and/or your students love. They can each have their own snazzy blog and  join a world-wide authentic community where they will grow in reading, writing, presenting, and 21st century skills.
  2. Video recorders and editing software.
  3. A huge collection of Legos Mindstorms robotics, software, and Legos for students to tinker and create.

How about you? What would you do with $3000 to buy tech equipment for your genius hour program?

Author: Denise Krebs

I'm the chief learner in life's adventure.

4 Comments

1. I’d buy a mac book so we could more easily turn our iPad videos into finished products.

2. Hi Denise!
    I still have to wait until young students are allowed time to learn blogging activities during school time. So far, I take them to Edublogs during break time or by gmail chat.
    This year, I have just one student in the Challenge, and she belongs to the group you are mentoring. So, I would like to say “Hello”, and that I’m at your disposal. Ana Clara understands English quite well; as she is writting in Portuguese, visitors must use the google translate widget embeded on the side bar. Miss W. allowed me to translate the Challenge Posts, but I know she can grasp the meaning even of words she is learning on the spot.
    I’m discovering your blog and learning form it!
    Thank you,
    Ines

• Hi Ines,
      Thanks for letting me know. I should have read this better before I wrote a comment on Ana Clara’s blog. I asked a friend to help, and I kind of bungled the Portuguese, I’m afraid.

Next time, I will write in English! I’m glad she’s in the challenge!

Denise