Slice of Life and Ethical ELA Open Write – Paint Chip Poetry

Today’s Slice of Life at TwoWritingTeachers.org, 18 January 2022

Today, Dr. Kim Johnson has introduced us to paint chip poetry at the Ethical ELA Open Write.  I found some beautiful paint names and gave it a try about the view from my window. I used Sherwin-Williams Color Sample Chart to choose my colors. I highlighted the 16 paint chip names I wrote with today.

There’s s a full moon shining tonight
So cold, the stardew has fallen and gathered on the sand
Moth wings glimmer, their free spirit soars sky high
Thinking they are keeping the moon in sight
They actually frolic just around my porch light
blushing in their undignified beating, their alabaster
pollen powder sprinkling the air as they dream big
Billowy breezes, cheerful and undercool make me
Think of the heartfelt delight I carry in this earthen jug

5 thoughts on “Slice of Life and Ethical ELA Open Write – Paint Chip Poetry

1. Denise,
    You found some excellent color names that fit beautifully w/ the visual of moths on the porch. I have the Paint Chip Poetry kit, but rather than following v the instructions included in it, I picked through it to find the ones I wanted to use.

2. Beautiful!

I’m remember now that at some point I printed some paint chips for my class to use for poetry such as this. I better set a reminder in my phone to find them!

3. I “borrow” paint chips every time I visit Home Depot. Yet, I used them for synonym progressions. I love the idea of using the color titles as I wrote poetry!! And I loved your poem!! Thanks for sharing!!

4. Denise, your word choices in your poem paint a glorious picture of the confused-about-the-moon moths dancing around the porchlight, flapping their alabaster powder wings. The humor here in their confusion makes me wonder just how many things in my own life I’m dancing around, all confused about. Love this today!

5. I love how the paint chips can lead to such wonderful imagery. This last line jumps off the page for me, “the heartfelt delight I carry in this earthen jug”; a line worth stealing. Don’t you love how Ethical ELA gets us all writing again?