Poetry Friday and Good Friday

Today is Good Friday, and thanks to Anna J. Small Roseboro’s #Verselove prompt today, it made me think to write a Good Friday poem.

Flirty Venus’ namesake day
Relinquishes the work week
Into reassuring rest–
Day of finis. This Friday they call Good
All the more, when
You declared, “It is finished.”

Today is Poetry Friday, as well. Thank you to Matt Forrest for rounding up all the Poetry Friday posts here, with an interview with children’s author and poet, Leslie Bulion.

Image by AlexandruPetre on Pixabay

9 thoughts on “Poetry Friday and Good Friday

1. I can’t think of a better ending line, Denise – thanks for sharing, and Happy Easter.

2. Denise, I was so delighted to go to a Good Friday service today with my family. Your poem reminds me of the lines from the Passion and the priest’s homily. Good Friday, finis-I wonder if this was kept in mind when the liturgical calendar named this day Good Friday.

3. Thank you, Denise. And why we call it “good…” — more to think on!

4. I like how your poem transitions from light to serious and contemplative – a very effective acrostic. Thanks for sharing it with us.

5. Wow! An acrostic Good Friday poem! That is quite a feat! (Happy Easter!)

6. Who knows if it was finished on Friday? It doesn’t matter, does it? The finish, the beginning, the relinquish and the rest–your acrostic is effortless.

7. I love how you wove Friday in general and specifically Good Friday into one poem that anyone can relate to!

8. Well done combining Poetry Friday with Good Friday! It is finished—mission accomplished!