March 1 – Zoo Trip

March 1, 2023 TwoWritingTeachers.org

We went to the zoo yesterday, and it gave me all kinds of warm feelings. I’m so excited to have my daughter and her son visiting us this week. Going to The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens reminded me of going to zoos with my daughters when they were young. John Ball Zoo in Grand Rapids and the Phoenix Zoo were ones that we had memberships to over the years we lived there, but we have also visited zoos in Sioux Falls, Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, and San Diego.

I enjoyed seeing the animals more than the baby did this time. My favorite animal was the Island Fox. It was a precious little fox that I first thought was a baby fox. They come from the Channel Islands of California, and the adult weighs between 2-6 pounds.

“We’re going to the zoo, zoo, zoo. How about you, you, you? You can come too, too, too. We’re going to the zoo, zoo, zoo.” I sang to my grandson on the way.

I’m getting his family a zoo membership for his first birthday.

Clockwise from upper left: Bennett’s Wallaby, Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep, comparing M. to animal sizes, mountain lion, peccary, badger

I am participating in the March Slice of Life Challenge: A slice a day for all of March. Thank you, Two Writing Teachers! 

7 thoughts on “March 1 – Zoo Trip

1. Denise, what a wonderful gift to give your grandchild. Loved your photos, too, and can understand your attraction to the fox. Whenever I see a fox, I think something lucky will occur. I do not know why that idea pops into my head, and I rarely see a fox. Enjoy your zoo adventures!

2. Everything is better with grandchildren, Denise. Hope this is the first of many adventures you have with your little guy.

3. My first grandchild is 7 months old — after reading your post I can’t wait to take him to the Brookfield Zoo! (Chicago)

4. I love singing with my kids on the way to a big day at the zoo zoo zoo, what about you you you? Thanks for bringing my San Diego Zoo experiences back to my memory.

5. I so appreaciate you adding the hyperlinks to the zoo you visited as well as other memorible zoos! I’m now looking forward to taking my first and week old granddaughter to the National Zoo in DC when she visits and immediately googled and discovered that Amsterdam has a zoo (where she lives). Open to any and all grandma suggestions!!! So excited to join your club and your slice shows you are pretty super at it!

6. Oh what a joyful excursion this was! So fun to be the grandmother, yes? I love singing that same ditty of a song to my little ones. Wonderful post, Denise

7. Denise, I love the idea of the zoo gift for the family. The fun in these photos is contagious – – now I want to go to the zoo!