Poetry Friday – For Milo and Jane

Thank you Tanita S. Davis at {fiction, instead of lies} for hosting the Poetry Friday community today. Read her post about the seed of hope a garden can bring even during these tough times, her developing process of writing poetry and their changes, and a poetry challenge for the end of March.

I tried a haiku in Spanish today, written about my dear baby’s baby, who has been visiting us this week, but will be leaving Friday:

Ay, mi nieto
precioso, hoy no quiero
decirte adiós

Oh, my precious
grandson, Today I don’t want
to tell you goodbye

~Denise Krebs

I read a poem this week by Kate Rushin: “Meditations on Generations.” The first stanza reminded me of my sweet grandson (as well as so many other babies and toddlers I have loved over my lifetime).

However, Kate Rushin’s poem goes on, after this stanza, to describe something so deplorable that I can’t quit thinking of Jane. I find myself grieving for her and “all of the girls and women who were bought, sold, lost, forced, coerced, confused, misnamed…” Because of Rushin’s matter-of-fact language, piercing questions, and rich details, I will keep thinking about Jane long after today. What a world we live in, what a history we have! We must not neglect to talk about it and teach it to the next generation. Read the rest of “Meditations on Generations” poem here.

10 thoughts on “Poetry Friday – For Milo and Jane

1. Oh, Denise. What love for your grandson…and what gut-wrenching the contrast to the poem about Jane. I’m thankful that the poet wrote that poem, exactly how it is. We must remember and continue to tell the truth. I am a school librarian and I have battled feeling defeated this year. The forces working against the truth are strong and take up the name of God and I’m just sick about all of it. Your post reminds me that not everyone is against people like Jane. Thank you and amen.

2. Your haiku is lovely! I was pleased with myself for remembering the meaning of ‘nieto’ and glad to have the meaning confirmed. It’s so hard to have the little ones visit and then go home. I always hated to miss a moment with my niece and nephews.

“change
    is on the ledger”
    …has to be one of the subtlest and most awful ways of switching gears and changing the mood of a poem. That they wanted a mixed toddler gives me the horrible sense that she was pretty… And then it all becomes too horrendous to contemplate. I appreciate the poet’s sense that we must meditate on the past, and your thoughts that we should never forget what we came from.

3. May we always hold Jane (and all the others who were bought and sold as if property) in our hearts and minds.

4. Oh, Denise, it’s all too horrible to contemplate but contemplate we must. We have so far to go and it’s hard to not be discouraged. Your sweet haiku for your grandson is a balm here. Jane was loved, your grandson is loved. If only all human beings could be so loved. We have much to wish for and much to work for.

5. Glad you got to spend time with your sweet grandson; your haiku is lovely. Rushin’s poem is hard to read, though it’s so important for the truth to be known, shared, and never forgotten. What a gut punch. I can see why you can’t get it out of your mind.

6. Writing in another language — such a challenge! Well done, Denise.
    Kate Rushin’s poem is worth a read, albeit masterfully painful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

7. ¡Precioso de hecho! It’s so hard to say good-bye to such a dear little one. And how wonderful that you can write poetry in two languages!

8. Thanks for sharing your tender poem for your grandson. And thanks for sharing Kate Rushin’s poem, which I will also remember and hold on to.

9. Your haiku for your grandson is perfectly sweet, Denise. How wonderful that you can write it in two languages. I am hanging on to that moment for now – and will visit your Kate Rushin poem link a little later…

10. Lovely poem, Denise. What a joy to spend time with your grandchild!