Poetry Friday – Ode to the Western Fence Lizard

It’s Poetry Friday and Tricia at The Miss Rumphius Effect is the host. She has written a heart-wrenching pantoum about her sweet Cooper.

Thank you to the Poetry Sisters for including us in their March challenge to write a pantoum about an animal. This past week, I spent a few days in the San Diego area, where I met the ubiquitous Western Fence Lizard.

Western Fence Lizard on the trail at Torrey Pines

Ode to the Western Fence Lizard

King of Torrey Pines, Western Fence Lizard
Your deep sunny pushups warm your cold blood
Darting and dashing safely, young Wizard
Horny tight scales keep you dry in flashfloods

Those climbing toes! Longer than your femurs!
Look at your stunning view, O, Daydreamer

Your dark shadow shows two tails and two heads
If your tail is caught it can safely shed

No worries for you where you build your home
As human houses tumble into the foam

As human houses tumble into the foam

One of the Western Fence Lizard’s views

16 thoughts on “Poetry Friday – Ode to the Western Fence Lizard

1. Wow, Denise, I love that you managed to include so much about this lizard in your poem, the pushups, “Those climbing toes! Longer than your femurs!” (the picture shows how amazing, too). When we have been on tropical beaches in the past, most of the family loved seeing all the lizards, so I love this, and smiled that you shared its view, too!

2. This just shows that poetry and science exist in beautiful harmony. Emily Dickinson knew that; so do you! (I love so many lines, and the pantoum form in general but these two,”Your dark shadow shows two tails and two heads/
    Look at your stunning view, O, Daydreamer” followed by the panoramic photo? Perfect

3. I never knew there was such a thing as a Western Fence Lizard! He’s gorgeous, and where he lives in stunning. I love you describing him doing pushups and the repetition of – O, Daydreamer. Just lovely.

4. California is a wonderful place to view wildlife. Such and amazing rocky coastline. I love the picture and the details in your poem. Toes longer than femur! That’s an interesting discovery.

5. I’ve come for the lizard picture and stayed for his view! Wow, I love this so much, and the fact that it’s also a pantoum is the cherry on top. Never mind that we lose our houses to the surf.. he can shed his tail, and keep going. Western Fence Lizards – any lizards, really- are the best.

6. Denise, your lizard is a quick little animal. Thanks for the details you uncovered. The photo matches your line, “Your deep sunny pushups”. I love femurs and daydreamer for a rhyming duo.

7. I lived for some years in Southern California and saw lots of these. You sure brought me back with your eloquent poem. It never occurred to me that their toes are longer than their femurs. Wow!

8. Denise, that wonderfully named lizard has been suitably honoured in your ode.-Darting and dashing safely, young Wizard…’ You have done the spirit of Pablo Neruda much honour here.

9. You had me at “Western Fence Lizard” and I cheered this creature’s existence and persistence all the way through your ode!

10. Okay, I don’t know how you did it, but when I read Wizard I did NOT think “oh, lame rhyme for lizard”–I BELIEVED it! This poem flicks in so many interesting directions, does not require too much discipline of itself. Wonderful. The anti-spam word this week is “myriad mu”.🌞

11. I love this guy and he sure has a nice view, too! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

12. Sunny pushups! Love that. And…

As human houses tumble into the foam

So much about the resilience of these animals and the follies of humans here.

Also–those toes!