March 28 – A Day in Palm Springs

March 28, 2023 TwoWritingTeachers.org

Today we took a trip to Palm Springs, which is almost an hour away; it’s a trip we take about once a month. Palm Springs is a spring break tourist attraction, so I’m sure a lot of people we saw today were on vacation. We weren’t, of course; we were there because we save up our appointments and errands and do them all on the same day when we go there. We did enjoy the 75-degree spring break weather, though.

First, we went to Costco and bought gasoline for our car, sitting in the line for 10 minutes to save 25 cents a gallon. Then I went to my eye appointment, where they took fancy eye photos and scans of my eyeballs. He said I don’t have glaucoma or macular degeneration, so that was good news. I got a new prescription so I can buy new glasses on Zenni.

After the eye check, I joined my husband to finish our shopping list–produce, eggs, yogurt, and salmon. They didn’t have bird seed or a bird feeder, though.

After Costco, we went to Maracas Cantina. Here are pictures–the only ones I took today. (Why does that not surprise me?)

That was one big bowl of chips. When I took the photo, it was already half gone.
I ordered potato tacos, which I found a bit boring, so I added a lot of salsa to them.

Chips and salsa are one of my favorite things in the world. My husband is different; you can count on one hand the number of chips he’ll eat. I, on the other hand, would need his and my fingers and toes, as well as those of everyone else in the restaurant to count how many chips I ate. I feel compelled to finish the whole basket of chips when I go to Mexican restaurants. Today, I actually could not quite do it, but I did eat a lot. After lunch, we both felt like we were going into a food coma.

We went to Staples to laminate something and buy a 3-hole punch. We then walked down to Revival’s, a favorite thrift shop. We sat down on a beige leather sectional sofa and wondered if it would fit into our living room. It was very comfy, and we sat for a while and wished we could envision it in our living room. We decided against it, but I found a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup, which I’ve been wanting.

Then we got back in the car and headed toward Trader Joe’s. Keith saw a Dick’s Sporting Goods and wanted to stop.  I chose to walk off some of those chips, so I walked around the mall while he looked at sporting goods. I saw a See’s Candy store! (Do you know See’s? Yummy!) Keith and I grew up eating See’s candy and getting Easter eggs in our Easter baskets. So, I bought three chocolate eggs for Easter. (I also ate the sample they offered me, for I have no self-control.)

Next we went to Trader Joe’s and found a lot of fun things–Crunchy Chili Onion, root beer and ice cream for floats, tahina, Umami seasoning, some boxed soups, tempeh, soy chorizo (another meat alternative that I love) and a bottle of kombucha.

I then drove us home. On the way, I wished I could take a photo of the beautiful yellow carpet of wildflowers on the desert floor, but my husband had fallen asleep, so there is no such photo.

I am participating in the March Slice of Life Challenge: A slice a day for all of March. Thank you, Two Writing Teachers!

8 thoughts on “March 28 – A Day in Palm Springs

1. Denise,
    You crack me up w/ this food talk. Do I know See’s candy? Does a bear you know what in the woods. I love See’s and buy Ken a box of chocolates when I am in CA. We both devour the chips when we eat Mexican food. They’re perfect w/ a margarita. AmIright? Maybe I need a trip to Trader Joe’s, even though the nearest one is in Salt Lake City, to get on the nest substitute train. And I don’t know how people order glasses online. I have to try frames in Im extremely picky.

2. It was such fun to wander along with you through your day. You created such an easy-going companionable mood. I also enjoyed your wry side commentary about food. You also have me thinking of a slice I could write! Thanks for that!

3. Sounds like a productive, fun, and delicious day! The details had me walking with you.

4. Denise, what a fun and eventful day. The food for lunch looks fantastic. I’m in accord to wanting to devour chips if they are light and crispy. Salsa is what I like the most. I think I could eat Mexican food most days. I’m sorry you didn’t get a photo of the wildflowers because they sound beautiful. Thanks for sharing a slice of your life in Palm Springs! 75 degree weather….oh, I’m so jealous!

5. I am amused that you head to Palm Springs for ordinary errands – right in the midst of all these luxury vacationers. You had a full and fabulous day! You accomplished so, so much – you deserved the yummy food break. I want to visit that thrift store – I bet they have amazing finds.

6. Oh. MY GOSH. See’s Candy. They had one in Atlanta, and may still have it if it survived the pandemic there. Their Easter candy is simply second to none. Those eggs are divine, so exquisitely decorated AND delicious. Oh, I’m thrilled that you got some eggs. But let’s talk about those potato tacos. Denise. That even sounds boring – I can’t imagine. But alas, nothing some chips and salsa (and cheese dip) won’t fix. How does your husband eat only a few chips? If I can avoid starting to eat them, no worries – – but if I eat even one chip, I am like you and have to finish the entire basket. I love everything about this post today – – it gives a glimpse into your life and takes us on an outing with you. And I need to up my yogurt intake, too. I’m needing a daily probiotic that I’m not getting anywhere else, and I’d rather do it through food. Even though those Karma drinks are pretty good….that strawberry Lemonade’ll flat put joy in your heart. Thanks for prompting me to think about that!

7. What a delightful outing with so much delicious food on the way. Some of the names of shops are familiar, some not at all. Thanks for the trip!