Spiritual Journey Thursday – Cherish

Thank you, Margaret, for inviting us to join in the Spiritual Journey Thursday sharing today.

Cherish – my one little word.

In 2024, I want to focus my attention on cherishing, based on the two greatest commandments of Jesus:

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’

Matthew 22:37-39

I appreciated all the synonyms of cherish that fit those two commandments.

Adore, honor, revere, and worship God

Cultivate, entertain, and care for others

Treasure, hold dear, and appreciate this life of mine

(with an accidental acronym of my 2023 word, act)

I can’t help but think of The Association’s song “Cherish,” an old sappy tune from 1966. The record had significant success, so when the record label suggested the song was “too old and archaic,” it made Jim Yester, an original member of The Association, say that it “just showed we can have archaic and eat it, too.”

Then there is Madonna’s “Cherish” from 1989.

Finally, on the cherish song front, here is a wedding song by Mark Wills.

11 thoughts on “Spiritual Journey Thursday – Cherish

1. Denise, we have so much in our lives, people, memories, things that we can cherish. So often we don’t appreciate them until they are gone. Your word is a reminder to all of us to take time and cherish those we love for life is short

2. What a sweet collection of scripture, definitions, and songs. It seems like your word has started speaking to you.

3. Cherish is one of my favorite words. I have a distinct fond memory of dancing with a boy when the song came on and he held me closer. Early crush, but it still makes me smile.

4. I LOVE this. Thank you for sharing, Denise. (Bonus – I know all those songs!) 💙 I cherish that we met online and face to face and I cherish that I’ve learned so much from you over the last ten years.

5. I remember when Margaret had this word several years ago. I loved it then and love it now. Like Ruth said, you have a wonderful connection between your word, scripture, definition, and songs.

6. Thank you for sharing the pun from Association frontman. That gave me a Saturday morning grin—and I needed one. (I have just finished reading Alice Winn’s remarkable novel In Memoriam and needed that positivity. )
    I also have a strong memory of young love linked to that song—and a pillow a student gave me that has “cherish” embroidered as a reminder on my desktop. What a wonderful OLW, and what a fine acrostic to have it spawn. Happy New Year, Denise.

7. Denise: So “cherish” is the word… the OLW! Love it! I look forward to more. Best wishes!

8. Denise, I adore the OLW you chose to guide you this year. It is such a dear word that connects so well with family. life, love, and positivity. I can see it coming in handy when challenges round the corner. Cherish each moment of this year and share the results with us. Happy New Year.

9. Denise, I love the music you shared. That song transports me to the dance floor, no specific memories of a certain someone like Margaret, but it strips the years away and transports me to those years.
    I especially like how the acrostic you created from synonyms for cherish (with last year’s word stepping up) .
    Here’s to a year of adoring, caring, and treasuring every cherished moment.

10. Ah, Denise! I thought of The Association song the moment my eyes rested on your OLW. I played that record out in my early phonograph days. I think “treasure” matches most closely how CHERISH makes me feel. To love and notice things, people, the world, with the tenderness of a mother’s love. I feel deep joy to my bones just sitting with your word. If you don’t mind, I will slip it into my pocket and tap into it over the coming year. 🙂