Poetry Friday – Brazil Bound

Today is Poetry Friday and Carol Varsalona at Beyond LiteracyLink has the Pre-Valentine roundup complete with lots of love. 

I am on my way to Brazil for a week! I’ll be part of a team leading a storytelling workshop with Simply the Story.

I’ll write poems in Brazil this week! I’m so excited. For now, I’ll finish getting ready for a 24-hour travel day. I’ll arrive on Saturday morning. (Comments coming on some Poetry Friday posts while I’m on my layover in Dallas-Fort Worth.)

In the meantime, here is a poet from Brazil for you to meet. Her name is Paula Valéria Andrade. She made the image below as a participant in a Visual Poetry presentation:

Did you notice “arco-iris” is Portuguese for rainbow. I think it is such a beautiful word.

I used the English translation of her line for my Valentine Golden Shovel:

I am so happy that I get to
know your technicolor self,
all the ins and outs,
the ups and downs, the
colors of pain and sadness,
of joy and gladness–
the whole kaleidoscope! Every
rainbow splurge of love
with splashes of hope.
You are a treasure!

Here are some more of Andrade’s poems in English. Don’t miss the last one called “Farewell,” with these lines:

…then left
my heart
as a used rug
on the floor.

15 thoughts on “Poetry Friday – Brazil Bound

1. What a love poem your golden shovel is, Denise. I adore that it captures the many facets of being human, and that when we love someone we get to share them all.

1. What a colorful and filled post Denise, love the imagery that spills from your technicolor self!
      And how exciting your trip sounds, have a wonderful time!

2. Denise, YOU are a treasure! I can’t wait to hear about the poems you find in Brazil…and the poems that find you. Happy travels!!

3. Wow, Denise! Wishing you safe travels and a whole lot of awesome poetic experiences. I read all her poems, love especially “Chronometer” – time that one needs & can’t seem to get enough of! And your poem, sweetest love full of many colors! I’ll look forward to what you share in a few weeks!

4. Denise, enjoy your travels and bring the best storytelling to Brazil. I look forward to hearing about this amazing opportunity. Fill your journal with technicolor verve.

5. Wonderful golden shovel. How exciting to be traveling to Brazil! Have fun at the workshop. Will look forward to hearing all about it when you get back. 🙂

6. How exciting, Denise! I look forward to seeing how the sights and sounds of Brazil are reflected in your poetry. What a great opportunity!

7. Wow! Safe travels, Denise – I’m sure it will be a meaningful, inspiring trip! Thanks for sharing your adventures.

8. That’s so exciting, Denise–I hope your Brazil experience is utterly amazing. Thank you for this splash of a rainbow poem!

9. Such a great line (for your golden shovel)! How wonderful that you will get to know the rainbow treasures of Brazil! Enjoy!

10. Denise, this post is packed with color! Have fun in Brazil. I hope you share some of your poetry creations from your trip!

11. Congratulations on your trip! Can’t wait to hear all about it. I love your love poem, especially “the whole kaleidoscope!” I feel this, how in long love we have to treasure every part of a human.

12. ooooh! Have fun and take lots of photos. I imagine your poetry is going to just blossom with color like your post! “your technicolor self” is vintage and fresh at the same time.

13. Denise, what a trip! We’ll look forward to reading all about it.