Slice of Life 14 – A World Longing for Hope #sol24

14 March 2024 TwoWritingTeachers.org

Today, I took a walk by myself. I packed a windbreaker, a stocking cap, water, grapes, my notebook and pen. Everything I needed for a walk and a break at a favorite picnic tree.

We walk by this tree often, but I love to stop and sit under its shade. (Even today when it was cold.)
Such a cozy space.
This rock is my “kitchen table” and I’m sitting on another “chair” rock.

I started writing in the style I learned from Kim Stafford early in January, each day writing: “the date, a diary (boring prose of the day), an aphorism, and a poem.” So, I wrote the date and a couple paragraphs about my mundane day yesterday, and then I needed a quote or aphorism. I went to my email, and saw Trish Emerson’s Wednesday post. I read it, always inspired by her beautiful prose. Then I found the poem she mentions “This Too Shall Pass.” It is a dynamic and important word from Kim Addonizio. I searched for more from her, and found a video of Addonizio answering questions about her book in 2021.  In the video, she described the world as “our beleaguered, compromised, beautiful world.” It struck me as so humble and true. I used that as my striking line to write today’s poem in honor of all you Slicers and what our writing does for each of us, each other, and the world.

A World Longing for Hope

Our Love and writing will salvage
beleaguered dreams and
compromised liberties. Our
beautiful solace in a
world longing for hope.

Kim Addonizio gives that striking line in this Q&A video created during the pandemic.

11 thoughts on “Slice of Life 14 – A World Longing for Hope #sol24

1. Denise,
    I love thinking “this too shall pass.” Of course, it does—until it doesn’t, but that’s how life is supposed to be. Your beautiful poem speaks truth. I often think about the loneliness I’d experience w/ out writing and writing communities. I am fed by the words of others, and I am better equipped to deal w/ both the world’s and my own problems because I have words, mine and those I read. But I must ask you to please define cold. 😉

1. Haha, Glenda. You are right. It wasn’t “cold” in the Idaho sense of the word. It was mid-50s when I stopped, but the wind was brisk, and it would have felt better to sit in the sun.

2. I appreciate how you show your surrounding and your inner thoughts and how a poem grow out of it all. 🙂

3. I love this post in oh-so-many ways! First, your outdoor walk and writing is fabulous. I sometimes toss my notebook in my car when I go out to take photos, but I rarely ever jot anything and I never take it along while I’m walking. I’m going to be rethinking that now. I’m so glad you shared a few photos. Your environment is so different than mine! Next, I love the idea/structure from Kim Stafford and am totally stealing it. Thanks! Finally, what a beautiful connection you’ve woven between the quote you chose and our slicing community. Ahhhhhh…

4. Such a beautiful place to go for a hike and thank you for the post.

5. I love how you shared your process, craft, and products here! I felt like I was with you on your hike and waiting time. Your detailed tidbits are inspiring.

6. Absolutely exquisite poem. You speak to my hopes (and joy) from my own writing, salvaging dreams, bringing hope. Just lovely. Your hike was the perfect way to muse and write.

7. Denise, your poem spoke to me on so many different levels today. I’m not very fond of the phrase “This too will pass” although I understand its truth. Your poem, however, is gorgeous and I am a true believer of the solace writing brings, and I do hope this time in history will pass and our “beleaguered dreams” will be restored. Rock on, Denise!

8. Of course I’m honored to be mentioned and so pleased that you have connected with Kim. I have heard her read live at the Dodge Poetry Festival in New Jersey. I had never listened to this pandemic-piece on You Tube, but in her collection have tagged, “To the Woman Crying Uncontrollably in the Next Stall.” As I was listening to her read it, my husband was actually sitting beside me listening, too. When it ended, “Listen. Joy is coming, ” he said, “Wow.” Addonizio would be humbled by your “beautiful solace in a world longing for hope.”

9. Denise, the way you bring us along with photos and make us part of your adventures is always captivating to me. You make me feel like I have little windows to look across the country and see specific rocks, roots, trees, and be there. The poem is beautiful and I love a golden shovel. Your message is timely.

10. This is a great post to return to when we have uninspired writing days; to write the mundane, then find the poem in it. Thanks for sharing your POV of your hike (I love the rock table!), and your beautiful poem.