Slice of Life 3 – A Junk Journal Day #sol24

3 March 2024 TwoWritingTeachers.org

It was a junk journal sort of day. We are going to visit our niece and her three daughters next week, so this morning after breakfast, I took over the whole table to make junk journals for each of them. I didn’t clean up until 9:30 p.m. That is why I had not visited any Slicers today until late tonight. The junk journals were really my whole day! My husband even brought me food.

I’m new at junk journals, for sure. I’ve been following Natasha at Treasure Books to learn what I’ve learned. She is the only one I will watch now. I’ve become spoiled watching her great videos. She is kind and practical and thrifty. She is a great “junk journal” shopper. She is both meticulous and artistic. I’m barely either, but I’m trying.

This was my work table for 12 hours today!
These are four junk journals at various stages of getting ready to gift my nieces next week.

15 thoughts on “Slice of Life 3 – A Junk Journal Day #sol24

1. I had never heard of junk journals, but now I want one (I could never create one). Your lucky nieces- this is a real gift of love!

2. I’ve never heard of junk journals either…now I’m off to Google what they are! You are so loving to spend so much time hand-making something for your nieces. 🙂 Welcome back to the challenge…good to see you!

3. Denise, you might have created a monster in me. For a long time, I had an addiction to Moleskine journals, and I’d seek them on sale at Marshall’s and buy them whether I needed them or not. Now……you have given this hoarding of journals I’ve collected a real purpose. Junk Journals. Oh, I am smitten. Thank you for this slice. I learn so much from you!

4. I had never heard of a junk journal until today! But, I love the idea and potential to create a book of memories, motivation, and ideas. I have a 16th birthday coming up…….I think this will be perfect! Thank you

5. I have never heard of a junk journal. Your post has left me intrigued and I can’t wait to find out more about them. What lucky nieces to have you spend a day crafting things for them!

6. Denise, oh my goodness, I love this. I really love that your husband brought you dinner, too. I’m going to check your video out. I think this would be a fantastic project for the Art Center. Thank you for sharing this amazing craft!

7. Thanks for the link. I never heard of junk journals before either! Yours are beautiful. What a wonderful gift!

8. This kind of journal is a new idea for me. Thanks for adding the hyperlink. Doing to explore it. Lucky nieces!!

9. Like so many others who have commented, junk journals are new to me as well, and I think this might be my new passion! The images are an essential component of this slice and thank you for sharing this useful slice.

10. Okay, Denise, now I know what I should be doing as my next creative paper experience. I love Natasha’s You Tube offerings and hope to start the “junk Journal with Me” playlist. She makes it seem possible. (Frankly your table looks like my dining table all those teaching years. If you had journal success, who cares?!) Have a great visit with your nieces. I hope we’ll get to read about it—and maybe you’ll share some junk journal reactions.

11. I started following Natasha and several others when I began collaging. I have never made a junk journal, but most of my notebook pages have collages. I really like Melina Pylant, too. https://www.youtube.com/@MelinaPylant

I would love to see the inside of yours. Do you stitch them or glue them?

1. Thank you, Leigh Anne, I watched a video of Melina and got some ideas. I’ll have to take some photos of the inside too. I have just been gluing, as I haven’t had success using my sewing machine on paper yet.

12. I’m so curious about junk journals now. By the looks of your comments here, you may have just created a mini junk journaling army! 😂😂😂 What a fabulous way to spend intentional time with your family. ❤️

13. I need to investigate junk journals – these are new to me. What a sweet gift for your nieces! I appreciate the link/Natasha at Treasure Books. So fun!