Slice of Life 5 – Ryan’s Mountain #sol24

5 March 2024 TwoWritingTeachers.org

Come with me on a hike. It is just a 3-mile round trip hike up Ryan’s Mountain and back, in Joshua Tree National Park.

Before the hike we need to enjoy some tea or coffee. I had my everyday tea latte with soy milk. (This is what I get for trying to empty the soy milk carton today before it was ready to be finished.)
On the way up the mountain

This is the first time I’ve seen a Desert Bighorn sheep in nature.
We made it to the top of Ryan Mountain, elevation 5457. My husband and I and my brother and sister-in-law.

Mt. San Jacinto
Mt. San Gorgonio

The views at the top are lovely.

There were so many rock stairs to walk up and now down; I am thankful for my hiking sticks.

15 thoughts on “Slice of Life 5 – Ryan’s Mountain #sol24

1. Denise,
    I cry foul! When you mention Joshua Tree, I expect a lovely Joshua tree in your post, although I must admit that hole looks fun and the snow-capped mountains are lovely. I must add that your drink looks suspiciously like a beer, which made me wonder why you’d have a beer before a hike. Now I know!

2. Denise, you inspire me to make that hike! Your photos capture the love of nature, and it makes me want to climb those mountains. One of my girls lives in Nevada and hikes regularly, sharing her gorgeous photos like yours – she assures me I will love those hikes! You make me want to pack my boots and go! Please share your tea recipe. I’m a fan of lavender latte with oat milk but I’d love to try a tea latte. We have a coffee shop we spend a lot of time in over here on the east coast, but I’d love to be able to make a tea latte at home! Gorgeous pics, and I’m glad you got to see the bighorn! It’s great to meet your brother and sister in law today in the photo!

1. Kim, my tea is not fancy, but we do have a fancy espresso machine that steams the soy milk. Then I just add it to the top of my brewed Earl Gray tea. I have learned to enjoy it without added sugar.

3. Me, me! I want to come along! Thanks for taking us with you on your hike. The pictures are gorgeous and I’m now even more determined to visit Joshua Tree. I love that you saw the bighorn! So cool!

4. Yes, please! I’m in for it all — even the rock stairs, but especially the bighorn sheep!

5. As soon as I saw Joshua Tree in your teasers, I clicked! Thanks for allowing me to hike with you in a space I experienced for the first time a few summers ago now on a vacation to Palm Springs which included 3 days tagged on the end at Joshua Tree. Before, I kept thinking, what’s so gret about a space with a bunch of rocks. But you captured in photos so well the beauty. You live in a lovely part of the world! Thanks for sharing it here today.

6. What an adventure! There is nothing like seeing wildlife in the WILD. (In that first photo, I wondered if the bighorn was a statue; that’s how jaded I am!) I wish I could take that climb…maybe someday.

7. Denise, my husband and I hiked in Joshua Tree many years ago (15, I think); we haven’t been back to Joshua Tree since – and your post makes me want to hop on an airplane and head your way. Wow! What an exquisitely clear day you had for a hike – the views are magnificent. And the wonder of that Desert Bighorn – you will never forget that sight, I think. Well done! Thank you for sharing!

8. How beautiful your pictures are! Thank you for taking us along on your hike through your pictures and words!

9. Loved how you documented your journey and told your story through pictures.

10. Oh, yes, please, you are all invited! We have room. Let’s make it a writing/hiking retreat. Do come! We would love to host you.

11. Such spectacular scenery, it’s stunning. Thanks for sharing it with us through your photos!