Slice of Life 10 – Noticing All the Senses #sol24

10 March 2024 TwoWritingTeachers.org

Thanks to Megan’s slice yesterday, “My Five Senses on a Friday” at The Musing Millennial, I spent more time appreciating everything I was sensing today while I was on a bike ride. It’s been awhile since I closed my eyes and listened, but I did that today sitting on a picnic table, so thank you, Megan.

I heard the jet plane miles overhead, and when it was gone it got quiet-quiet, like I could hear the workings in my head. Then a very occasional bee and another occasional fly went by. Next, my husband’s footsteps in the sand told me he was back from watering a tree.

I smell no springtime flora; it may be a little early for that. I did catch a lingering remnant of the Nest fragrance on my wrist, which happens to be in the final four of the perfume brackets (more on that tomorrow). I also smelled the hard caliche when I fell and nearly kissed the earth, while I climbed up to the rock pile.

I see two gallon water bottles tucked under a bush and the skeletal remains of Joshua and juniper trees which were burned in a fire decades ago. I see my husband down below me waiting at the picnic table, while I watched him from the rock pile.

I taste the cool water flowing from my hydration pack, as I suck on the nozzle.

I feel the bup bup bup bup bup bup bup bup bup bup as I bounce over ridges on the washboard road. When we first started I felt a pain in my left knee, so I cranked up the power to #3 on my e-bike, and enjoyed the electric assistance throughout the uphill climb.

And now as I write, I’m enjoying the bike ride again, thanks to paying attention to the senses that make life interesting.

Thanks
for the
connections
we make to this
adored planet you
have freely graced us with.
The God of the universe
created all sights, sounds, smells, tastes,
and touches–bringing joy to this life.

16 thoughts on “Slice of Life 10 – Noticing All the Senses #sol24

1. The life becomes so much richer when we intentionally pay attention to our senses. Of all the details I liked the very occasional bee and fly. Once they are out it is spring, even if the natural smells are not there yet.

2. Noticing our surroundings is a way to be mindful. Looks like you were extra mindful today! Thank you for sharing your observations…I felt like I was there with you.

3. Talk about vibrant sensory details! I love this slice for taking time to notice the details around you and how you relived your adventure by writing this slice. I also realized that the Megan you tagged is a teacher I know! My son had her in 7th grade. So many connections in this community!

4. Denise, a deep peace emanates from your post. I am reminded of why and how much we need mediation and prayer. This culminates in your beautiful reverse nonet, a hymn of gratitude to the Creator. The desert scenery is beautiful; I’m struck by the water bottles tucked in the shade near skeletal remnants of trees that burned – seems a message about life’s incongruities. Again why we need to pray and meditate… I’m also intrigued by the Nest fragrance and look forward to reading more about that tomorrow!

5. Using your senses to craft this slice brings me into your world so easily. (The pictures sure to help too!). I I’ve the moment when the sound of the plane fades and all you hear is quiet, quiet. Thanks for sharing!

6. What gorgeous views, Denise! Lucky you.
    Thanks for bringing us along. (It’s gray outside of my window so that final photo really drew me in!)

7. Denise, there is something so cleansing about the sensory post that you created, complete with pictures and descriptions of these experiences. The nonet at the end gives all the praise to the maker, like celebrating the artist’s signature on the beauty of the universe.

8. Beautiful! So glad you picked this prompt because you wrote it so well. I too can sense your environment thanks to you detailed descriptions!

9. Thank you for sharing Megan’s post with us, a terrific Slice inspiration/opportunity. Lines I love from you are many, but these capture both heart and head:”…quiet-quiet, like I could hear the workings in my head”;”…when I fell and nearly kissed the earth,”; “tucked under a bush and the skeletal remains,”; and of course the onomatopoeia of the “bup”s on the “washboard road.” I can feel those, too, the poet in you.

10. Beautiful slice of life, Denise. Lovely inspiration, the five senses – when you stop and pay attention to your senses, the world opens up. Just as you show us here! I will try to be intentional about this today, myself. I love this line “quiet-quiet, like I could hear the workings in my head” – I wonder if hearing the loud jet made that quiet thinking that followed so much more clear? Almost like music can do, loud and soft.

11. Denise,
    Your poem is a beautiful prayer. I love all the attention you’ve paid to the senses you experienced throughout your ride. And praise for the technology that makes getting out and riding possible as we grow older.

12. What a beautiful meditation of the senses. As I was reading your post I could sense all of the different things you described and at the same time it made me aware of my own surroundings. Thank you for this–great Sunday morning read.

13. This slice is so funny and lovely and everything that I love to do! Tracing the sounds of our environment brings such new awareness and your descriptions and images are immersive. (The onomatopoeia “bup bup bup” had me mouthing the sounds and picturing the bike moving over the washboard road.)

14. To “stop and smell the roses,” as they say, or “bup bup bup” along on the bike is the best! Looks like you had a great day to ride! Thank you for sharing!

15. Denise – I love the photo and the sense-sational narrative. I felt like I was riding around with you! It is always so gratifying to slow down and take notice of this beautiful planet!

16. Such a vivid journey with all those sensory feels. Thanks for the experience and I loved the poem of thanks at the end that sums up what creation is all about.