Am I Getting Old?

Day 8

Oh, my goodness! I’m 0-2! This is my second loss to the tile floor this week. I don’t remember the last time there was broken glass in my house, but this week two slices of my life have included red liquid and broken glass! (First post here)

This morning I woke up and had an idea to enjoy a pedicure. I got my Epsom salts and hot water ready in the plastic wash tub. I brought along an emery board, nail polish and clippers. Oh, well, I thought, since I don’t have nail polish remover I no doubt can scrap off the old stuff because it’s got to be from last summer, or I’ll just go over it with a fresh coat.

I sat down at the tub. The water was still a little too hot, so I was tiptoeing in. It didn’t take long for my feet to get accustomed to the temperature, so I settled in and began to enjoy the soak. I reached for my tea latte, which my husband had brought me to enjoy while I pampered myself.

However, there was a different plan for my morning. When I reached for my tea, my elbow swept the fingernail polish off the table and onto the tile floor.

I didn’t know where to start, so I took a picture!

This was the first time in my life that I broke a bottle of fingernail polish. And, oh, yes, I remembered I didn’t have nail polish remover, so after I sent a text to my neighbor to see if she had some, I tried to mop up the globs with tissues.

This is looking grisly.

I also poured and scrubbed with a half bottle of White Spirit, which may be a British kind of turpentine.  You needed a lot of elbow grease with that stuff and it mostly wasn’t coming off.

One of my first thoughts was of Maureen, who had a couple of posts this week, where she toyed with the idea of getting old because of a couple of things that happened to her. (Here and here) My follow up thought: “Am I getting old?” Or is it this tile floor that seems to have been hiding for eight years, and now is opening up a can of whoop-ass!

My neighbor responded to my earlier text and the nail polish remover definitely did its magic. I cleaned up the spill and got ready with a few minutes to spare before my first class at 7:45.

8 thoughts on “Am I Getting Old?

1. Even at the beginning, I was like oh no… I appreciated the foreshadowing in this post. I also give you a lot of credit for BEGINNING your day with a pedicure (or an attempted one.) You have to wonder what they put in those containers of nail polish remover!

1. Thank you, Melanie. Yes, I wondered too how that remover worked so well. It really was magical, and I again was struck with how important it is to have the right tool or, in this case, the right solution.

2. Maybe you’re just channeling your inner toddler these days or your inner cat. Both knock things around. Neither you nor Maureen are ready for the geezer club yet. You’re both younger than I am, I think. 👀 What I really want to know is how nail polish has lasted a year on your toes. I get a pedicure every month. Most of my polish has fallen off by the time my appointment arrives.

1. Wow, I feel like my toenail never get worn. Maybe I exaggerated on last summer, but really I feel like it always looks good. It’s my fingernails that I don’t bother painting any longer because that was always chipped! What do you do on your toes? Barefoot ballet?

3. You ensnared me with your title, and the post kept me on edge throughout! Yikes! “This was the first time in my life that I broke a bottle of fingernail polish.” I thought immediately of the cup of tea I dropped. What is happening to us? Thank goodness for neighbors with nail polish remover! What a tone change – you are in this lovely bath, and – oh no! We will keep on, keeping on, Denise! My question is – did you see your way clear to you paint your toes?

1. Yes, let’s keep on keeping on! Like Glenda says, we are still too young to join the geezer club. To answer your question, I used my neighbor’s polish remover to remove the old polish, but I didn’t add new. That broken color was my favorite. I’ll have to see what else I have.

4. Tile floor meets bottle…something’s gotta give. Glad your neighbor came to the rescue. (I just bet the floor was laughing to itself.)