Slice of Life 16 – Eggs #sol24

16 March 2024 TwoWritingTeachers.org

So today was a cold day with a high of just 42F. (That is cold for me anyway–maybe not in Idaho or the Midwest or the Northeast, but it is cold in California.) It rained last night and snowed on the hills and mountains around us. It was mostly cloudy all day.

I called this sky “Lifted Mountains”

For more inspiration today, I looked on my camera roll and found some photos from last week that I didn’t write about when they happened. This is my sister’s ‘granddaughter,’ we call her. (Not officially, but Lori is very close to the girl and her mom. My sister has become Grandma Lori to her. The little girl comes to our house a lot too.) I had these chalk eggs sitting out, and one time she saw them and wanted to play, but it was night time and cold outside. I told her next time she came in the daytime we would play with them outside. The next time came and the weather was beautiful, sunny and warm. She noticed them, and we spent the whole morning outside, drawing and then hiding and gathering the eggs. She hid them and found them, like she was seeing each for the first time. I was the container holder. She never tired until it was time to leave.

5 thoughts on “Slice of Life 16 – Eggs #sol24

1. What an adorable reflection! I’m glad you had warm weather so the little girl could have fun playing, writing, and embracing vitamin D. Some of my favorite memories from childhood were spent outside. I hope that kids these days are still making these memories, despite technology’s evolution. Keep writing on sidewalks and hiding trinkets for her to find!

2. Denise, your post today brought back special memories of hide and seek games including eggs on my in-law’s farm. It actually brings a few tears. Love the title of your gorgeous mountain photo.

3. How we love sidewalk chalk! The best player in that game you described is the carton holder, for sure. I miss the days of when kids were little and we hid eggs. I’m glad they had the chance to find some real eggs, because honestly if I were doing it all over again, I’m not sure we would ever hide real ones. They’d always be the plastic variety. Glad you had fun, and I love those photos!

4. This reminds me of two fond memories, egg hunts and sidewalk hopscotch
    I used to love hiding eggs the bunny had left behind on Easter morning with my siblings. The joy on seeing everything as of for the first time is one of the wonders of childhood.

5. Denise,
    I see what you did there in your description of cold! I assure you 42 is cold in Idaho, too, just not as cold as 22! That’s why we’re headed south! Love the mountain photo. I took some of the Wasatch front from the car today and thought of you. The Easter egg hunt is cute. I’m hoping I get to see my grandson for Easter.