Slice of Life 28 – The Coaster and Margherita #sol24

28 March 2024 TwoWritingTeachers.org

Today we took the Coaster train to San Diego. When we got to the station, we realized the next train would be coming in a little less than two hours. (Hmmm…why can’t we do better research?) Anyway, while we waited, we got some coffee/tea and I sat and read and commented on some Slices. We then rode the train, got off at the last station, and spent time walking around downtown and near the harbor.

We decided to go to Old Town for lunch, but when we came back to the station, the next train was leaving again in two hours. What? So as we talked to a policeman nearby, he recommended Little Italy and told us how to get to there, which was quite close. We decided on Isola Pizza & Pasta. Keith ordered a gnocchi dinner, and I ordered from the happy hour menu, a salad ($5) and margherita pizza ($7), thinking a $7 pizza would be a slice or a personal pan size. Instead it was the same size as all their pizzas, probably 12-inch. I was thrilled because: PIZZA! And it turned out to be the best margherita pizza I’ve ever had. Keith ate the crust of one piece, otherwise, I ate the whole thing. (It turns out Isola’s might be known for their happy hour margheritas because every other table in the restaurant seemed to be getting the same pizza delivered to them.)

Here are a few photos from our day:

One of the lagoons we rode by on the train
Tilework at the Santa Fe Station in San Diego
U.S.S. Midway, former navy aircraft carrier, is now a museum in San Diego harbor. It seemed weird to see people eating lunch on the deck of a war ship.
One of Hanna’s Murals at Seaport Village
I loved this colorful building on India Street in San Diego.
Keith gave me a red rose again. (I had to leave it on the table at the restaurant, though.)
Yes, please, I WILL eat a whole margherita pizza, thank you very much.
The first three art pieces are at Seaport Village. The fourth is ‘Pacific Soul’ by Jaume Plensa.

A pizza for me

Every chewy and charred bite

screamed delight

8 thoughts on “Slice of Life 28 – The Coaster and Margherita #sol24

1. I am glad you didn’t research and figured out ways to spend the hours as you waiting for your transportation. Your slie shows you and your husband as a patient and adventurous couple.

2. My husband and I traveled a lot before our baby was born and I can’t wait to get back on the road. I also love the photos you include here, especially the one of the U.S.S. Midway.

3. You—and Keith—are on a fabulous roll. (I have often thought if I was given the choice of one food for the rest of my life, I’d have a hard time deciding between pizza and peanut butter…but inevitable, pizza has so much more potential!) The theme of the book I wrote about today—or one of them—is “Kindness Matters.” I wish I practiced it more than I do.

4. Oh my goodness does that pizza look fantastic! I love your beautiful photos, especially the sculptures and the colorful building. What fun you must be having! Safe travels and continue enjoying your wonderful travels.

5. Yum! That pizza looks so delicious. You are having such a fun few days!! Those colorful buildings in San Diego are gorgeous. I haven’t been to San Diego since 1984 – oh my. Looks like lots has changed!

6. 2o years ago, or so, I was in San Diego with my cousin and her husband. We drove there from LA where they live, but we are the BEST pizza there is in the world. We also saw the BEST sights and heard the best music? You bring back all the memories!

7. Denise, I’m enjoying all of your adventures this week. You two are getting around, getting out and loving life. That Margherita pizza looks so good – – – I love this kind of pizza without meat and a bunch of fixings. Your photos are stunning with color and happiness, and I wish they were windows so I could climb in and join the fun.

8. Denise,
    I can’t believe you are the whole pizza—and a salad. At $7 for a 12” pie it’s easy to see why that pizza is popular. What amazes me is a restaurant can afford to offer such a fantastic deal. Makes me want to go to San Diego just for the pizza!